The Glen Hotel has been part of the Arranmore history since being built in the mid 1800s. It was originally the home of the landlord John Stoupe Charley and was known as ‘the big house’.
In 1922 Jack Boyle , a native of the Island at the time bought the building and later converted it into a hotel. According to guestbook records the hotel was up and running by 1928.
Major extensions in the 1930s were carried out. Four new bedrooms were added to the far end of the building. The old bar was constructed from the cabin ship “The Forrest Monarch” which came ashore in 1846.
In the 1875 a Presbyterian church was built in the field behind The Glen Hotel. However there is nobody actually buried in this area. It was demolished in the late 1930, but the foundations can still be seen to this day.
Jack and his wife Hannah had one son called Philly whom married Mary Gallagher. In 1954/55 Jack retired. Philly and Mary took over the running of the business. After some years, Jack passed away in July 1964. His wife Hannah succeeded him until the 23rd of November 1983, when she passed on 99 years young.
Philly continued to run the hotel. He retired in 1989 and his son Philip Boyle took over the business. In 1994 Philip married Anne Marie from Scotland and together they run the hotel to the present day.
Present Day – Glen Hotel
Today, the Glen Hotel has 12 rooms and offers bed and breakfast. Food is served 1:00PM – 8:00PM daily. If you are looking for a place to stay on Arranmore Island with some history and great stories, look no further than The Glen Hotel.